Durham College of Applied Arts and Technology, known as Durham College for short, is one of the most popular public universities in the Durham Region of Ontario. Durham College has two campuses located in Oshawa and Whitby, Ontario.
Since established in 1967, Durham College has been affiliated with many academic bodies like Colleges and Institutes Canada, Universities Canada, and the Canadian Bureau of International Education.
Durham College has received many applications from students all over the world and has enrolled students from different countries, economic backgrounds, and ethnicity. Every year, Durham College enrolls about 43,600+ students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship was established to aid international students to study for their undergraduate degrees. The 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship are generally open to exceptionally good students who want to put their energy into pursuing their career ambitions.
Keep reading to know about what you need to apply for the scholarship, its acceptance rate, eligibility, selection criteria, and more.
The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship is a partial scholarship. Applicants who qualify for the scholarship will be awarded limited funds that will help reduce the cost of tuition fees.
The scholarship award will aid elevate the payment load of the first-year tuition fee for international students seeking admission to undergraduate programs. After the first year, students will begin to pay tuition fees in full and other outstanding fees.
The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship is only open to international applicants from all over the world. Home students may not be considered.
To be eligible for The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship, applicants must be able to fulfill the following criteria.
- Be classed as an international student.
- Students who apply and pay their fees before the deadline.
- Students who have all the required documents and passed the required tests.
- International students who are applying for an undergraduate program.
- Be a self-funded student and full-time.
- International students who have arrived in Canada and have remained enrolled at Durham College past the 10th day of the semester.
Durham College accepts diverse students and does not relegate them to a type of applicant. The Selection process is made without regard to sexual orientation, gender, ethnic origin, marital status, gender identity, race, social background, caste, color, disability, or religion.
Not everyone qualifies for The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship. People who fall under this category will be exempted from the scholarship.
- Applicants who were not able to completely pay their fees before the deadline.
- People who are seeking funds to study at a different university rather than Durham College.
- Applicants who have performed poorly on their English Language Test and other tests.
- Students who are not classed as international students.
- Applicants who apply for the scholarship after the deadline.
- Students who want to use The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship to apply to another university.
- Applicants who are not self-funding and an going to be full-time students.
- For the student who withdraws at Semester 2 before the 10th day of the semester, the scholarship will be revoked and the money awarded will be subtracted from their refund.
- Student fails to register for Semester 2 classes before the 5th day of the semester.
The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship is made available only at the undergraduate degree level.
The 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship is only available for all the undergraduate courses offered at the College.
The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship awards either $1,000 or $1,500 (Canadian Dollars) which is based on students’ academic performance.
A fund award of up to $1,000CAD will require an English Language performance from students in any of these tests or exams.
- Grade 12 English final of 80%**
- Cape – Grade 2
- CSEC (CXC) – Grade 1
- A Level – Grade B
- 0 Level – Grade A/7
- BGSCE – Grade A
- B2 WAEC
- KSCE – Grade A-
- Academic IELTS 7.5
- TOEFL (IBT) 102
- IB English A HL – Grade 5
- UCE – Grade 1
A fund award of up to $1,500CAD will require an English Language performance from students in any of these tests or exams.
- Grade 12 English final of 85%**
- CAPE – Grade 1
- A Level – Grade A/A*
- O Level – Grade A*/8 or 9
- A1 WAEC
- KSCE – Grade A
- Academic IELTS 8.0
- TOEFL (IBT) 110
- IB English A HL – Grade 6 or 7
The scholarship funds are awarded usually towards second-semester fees. Scholarship funds will be awarded towards the deadline for the student’s second-semester fee payment or before registration for semester 2 classes.
Also, students who show outstanding academic performance in their program of study may be awarded an in-course scholarship fund of up to $1,000CAD.
Students who have been awarded the 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship can still apply for other financial aid at the university when the scholarship tenure is expired. Durham College also offers other external scholarships that can be used for funding at a different university.
International applicants who pass the eligibility criteria will automatically be considered for the 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship.
Applications are done online on the application portal. When applying for admission at Durham College, students are also required to check for their choiced program requirements and check for country’s requirements.
Students will also need to submit supporting documents like original academic records from past schools, a passport, a resume/CV, and a personal statement that may address:
- Why do you choose to study the course of your choice.
- The interests you have and how it relates to your chosen course of study.
- Why Durham College is the place you have chosen to study that course.
- Why you should be considered for the 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship.
- What your career goals are and your plans after graduation?
- And more
Applicants must also meet entry education requirements for the program they are applying to. Other things to consider include references, interviews, and offers. You can check your application status online.
English Language Test – Level 6.0 (with the least subtest score of 5.5) may be required from international students.
All applications will be reviewed to check if applicants fulfill the eligibility criteria using the university’s procedures. Successful applicants will be informed about the scholarship plan.
The 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship will be awarded to applicants that will be starting their undergraduate studies in the 2022/2023 session after admission in the January 2023 entry.
At Durham College, tuition fees vary by course of study. The tuition fees for full-time undergraduate international students are usually about $12,819CAD and above per year. You can use the program fee calculator to know exactly how much you will have to pay for your course of study.
The program of study greatly affects your tuition fees. Other fees to consider include ancillary fees which can cost up to $498, DCSI health and dental insurance, incidental fees, course fees, and miscellaneous fees.
The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship is a partial scholarship. This means that at some point, some students will have to pay off outstanding fees by themselves.
Outstanding school fees like course fees and living expenses, which includes food, accommodation, heating, books and stationery, and travel will have to be paid by the students.
Tuition fees are a yearly payment that is acceptable in Canadian dollars. Students are urged to pay 50% of the tuition fees during enrollment and can continue paying in installments. Durham College offers an array of ways students can pay for tuition including Online card payment, Payment by bank transfer, Payment in cash, and many others.
Durham College offers other financial aid which may be external and require an additional application or internal and offer automatic consideration for students who meet the set criteria. They offer a range of scholarships, bursaries, and funding for undergraduates and postgraduates.
Some of the financial aid include:
- Student loans
- In-course scholarships
- Donor awards
- And many external scholarships and awards in partnership with the National Educational Association of Disabled Students (NEADS), Universities Canada, Ontario Student Assistance Program, and more.
The Durham College, Canada 2023 English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship is an opportunity for students seeking financial aid to pursue a degree program at the university. Studying at Durham College is something to celebrate. The university stands as one of the notable universities with a 41% acceptance rate and a 65.6% graduation rate.