The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program by the Government of Canada is a program that was created to bring in and retain top-rated postdoctoral students or graduates both nationally and internationally. The program also aims to develop the postdoctoral students’ or graduates’ leadership potential and position them for success as the research leaders of tomorrow.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program will fund the best postdoctoral applicants (whether they are citizens or international applicants), who are ready to contribute positively to the country’s social, economic, and research-based growth.
In that favor, the Government of Canada benefits from new and emerging scientific discoveries whilst creating an innovative environment. The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program also helps recent postdoctoral graduates garner experience in research.
Postdoctoral graduates who have benefited from the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program demonstrate good leadership skills and a high level of standard in scholarly and recent achievement.
Keep reading to know about what you need to apply for the program, eligibility criteria, exemption criteria, and more.
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 is a program that provides scientists, who have recently obtained a doctoral degree in a field of Health research, Natural sciences and/or Engineering, Social sciences, and/or humanities, with the opportunity to work with research groups or leaders in Canadian government laboratories and research institutions located across Canada.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program will aid federal research scientists to contribute to policies, regulations and programs, and strategic decisions by providing a sound scientific knowledge base through their research.
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 is open to applicants from across Canada and all countries of the world.
To be eligible for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, applicants must fulfill the following eligibility criteria.
- Applicants who have just recently finished their postdoctoral program.
- Applicants who apply before the deadline.
- Applicants who have all the required documents and passed the required tests.
- Candidates with credentials that were obtained outside of Canada will have to provide proof of Canadian equivalency.
- International applicants may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants must show research, planning, teamwork, and leadership potential.
- Applicants must be active in the field with work experience or a proven interest in their course of study.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens and have obtained their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants for the 2022-23 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill all degree requirements for a Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree.
- The eligibility window applies only to the most recent postdoctoral degrees.
- Candidates who have graduated within the last 3 (three) years with a doctoral degree in the field of natural sciences.
Special consideration may be given to applicants who were unable to apply during the 3 years, due to a significant career interruption or delay. If this concerns your eligibility for the program, please contact the PRP Mailbox ([email protected]).
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program accepts diverse students and does not relegate them to a type of applicant. The Selection process is made without regard to sexual orientation, gender, ethnic origin, marital status, gender identity, race, social background, caste, color, disability, or religion.
Not everyone qualifies for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program. People who fall under this category will be exempted from the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Applicants who do not have a Ph.D. degree or are currently running a postdoctoral program will not be eligible for the Postdoctoral Research Program.
- Postdoctoral students who have graduated with certification do not reach the required certification.
- International applicants who have performed poorly on their English Language Test.
- Applicants who apply for the postdoctoral research program after the deadline.
- Applicants who graduated with a postdoctoral degree that is not among the eligible programs for the program.
- Applicants who do not show the required soft skills.
- Applicants who have graduated long past the 3-year consideration deadline.
- Applicants who are currently holding or have held agency-specific (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) awards at the postdoctoral level.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position.
- Applicants who are staying at the same institution or within the same research environment where they completed their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree may not be considered.
- Applicants who submit more than one application per competition year.
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 program is made available only to people who have completed their postdoctoral degree. Through the Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023, candidates can work with research groups or leaders in Canadian government laboratories and research institutions located across Canada.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is only available for applicants who have a postdoctoral degree in courses that are classified under or related to Health research, Natural sciences and/or engineering, Social sciences and/or humanities, and a list of professional health courses (you can check if your professional health course is eligible).
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 offers candidates non-renewable taxable starting salaries of $70,000 per year (Canadian dollars) at the beginning of their careers. How much successful candidates earn and their position in a research organization is greatly influenced by their level of qualifications or accomplishments.
Candidates for the Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program also earn incentives in working overtime, designated paid holidays, allowances, leave with pay, applications and authorship, and lots more.
The Government of Canada has provided an application guide for postdoctorate graduates to apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
The application guide shows the steps applicants should follow when wanting to apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
When applying for their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, applicants may also be required to submit supporting documents like original academic records from past schools, a resume/CV, a cover letter, a work permit, and a valid passport.
Applicants must also meet entry education requirements for the program they are applying to. Other things to consider include references, interviews, and offers.
The International English Language Test – Level 6.0 (with the least subtest score of 5.5) may be required from international students.
All applications will be reviewed to check if applicants fulfill the eligibility criteria using the program’s procedures. Successful applicants will be informed about the next step.
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 will be awarded to applicants who have passed the eligibility criteria for the program. The 2022/2023 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program deadline is 21 September 2022 (20:00 EDT).
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 is meant for recent graduates who have acquired a postdoctorate degree. This means that postdoctoral graduates are not supported through school but they are supported after graduation by enrolling in an inventory for hiring managers to employ them based on their skills and experience.
Once employed by hiring managers, they become research scientists. Research scientists are to perform their work in pursuance of their departmental mandates to attain certain results and to identify, conceptualize, formulate and put in motion new outcomes in delivering programs, and meeting the future needs of the department.
The Government of Canada offers other external financial aid which may require an additional application or automatic consideration for students who apply to universities through the provided link and also meet the set criteria.
The financial aid is targeted at both international and home students who want to study in Canada. Some of the financial aid is fully funded while others are partially funded scholarships. They offer a range of scholarships, bursaries, and funding for undergraduates and postgraduates.
The financial aid includes:
- Australian Postgraduate Awards
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Bright Flight (Missouri scholarship)
- Bright Futures Scholarship Program
- Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation
- Chevening Scholarship
- China Scholarship Council
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- Danish Government Scholarship
- Endeavor Awards
- Erasmus Mundus
- Erasmus Programme
- Fulbright Program
- German Academic Exchange Service
- Health Professions Scholarship Program
- King’s Scholarship (Thailand)
- Korean Government Scholarship Program
- Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act
- Monbukagakusho Scholarship
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Saltire Scholarship
- Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship
- Taiwan Scholarship
- Türkiye Scholarships
- And many more.
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 aims to help scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in Health research, Natural sciences and/or engineering, Social sciences and/or humanities, and other related courses.
Qualified applicants of the Postdoctoral Research Program become federal research scientists who contribute to strategic decisions, policies, regulations, and programs in the country by providing a sound scientific knowledge base through their research.
The Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 offers opportunities to postdoctoral graduates seeking a place to utilize their knowledge in one of the leading research organizations in Canada.