Military Volunteer Program
If you have a passion for aquatic life and a talent for engaging with people, we can use your skills. Join us in creating an Aquarium experience that will entertain and educate millions of people each year!
The Military Volunteer Program is open to active military, retired military, or veterans of the United States Armed Forces. Military volunteers will assist in Georgia Aquarium’s mission to foster a deeper appreciation for our ocean, its animals, and the environment. Participants will gain valuable learning and work experience while interacting with other military members in a team-oriented setting.
How does the Military Volunteer Program work?
Participants will complete service projects and volunteer at least 50 hours per year in public areas engaging with guests. Training and volunteer shifts will be completed as a group on designated days. Military volunteer groups will start twice a year:
- Fall 2018 (see dates below)
- Spring 2018 (to be announced)
Military volunteers will assist in the following areas:
- Service Projects – get involved in conservation projects throughout the community.
- Gallery Interpretation – engaging people of all ages and places in learning about aquatic life.
- Special Events – engaging guests in our Special Military Events and activities.
- Guest Services – welcoming guests and assisting them with directions and general information about the Aquarium.
How to Apply:
- Complete the Military Volunteer Program online application. Please note: the Military Volunteer Program accepts applications year-round. Selected applicants will be added to an interest list and contacted when the next available information session dates are available.
- Attend a Program Information Session. Selected applicants will receive an email invitation to sign up.
- Complete a background check. This background check will take 2-3 weeks to complete. Applicants who clear background screening will be invited to attend training days.
- Complete all required training days. This training is required to join the program. No makeup days will be available.
Military Volunteer Program Requirements:
- Complete all required training
- Be available to volunteer on Mondays and/or Saturdays
- Be able to volunteer at least 50 hours per year in public areas engaging with guests
- Complete at least two designated conservation service projects per year
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills
- Have a passion for conservation, education, and animals
- Maintain a strong work ethic and a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Be able to pass a background check and complete all required training listed below
What else should I be aware of before I apply to join the Military Volunteer Program?
- Not all who apply will be selected to participate in the program due to limited positions available.
- Volunteers must confirm and secure all necessary means of transportation before applying.
- Volunteers are required to follow the uniform guidelines and other policies and procedures of Georgia Aquarium.
- Most volunteer shifts are scheduled in four-hour increments and will take place in the morning/early afternoon.
- The Volunteer Membership Fee will be waived for participants in the Military Volunteer Program.